This is also the end of my second week of training for the new job. So far, so good! We've started going more in depth of what we will actually be doing once we get into production. It's more of a technical job than a design job. The hardest part will be learning the rules and regulations regarding the way they process ads for the Yellow Pages. It is very different from setting up files for four color process printing. It'll be a great learning experience. Our group has been getting to know each other pretty well, and we go out for dinner together as a group with our trainers on Thursday nights. This week we ate at a Spanish Tapas restaurant. It's nice making some friends in the city now that I am farther away from Patrick and Jaime and will only be seeing them on the weekends.
I have moved to an area called Darlinghurst which is a ten minute walk to work. It's so convenient. I wasn't sure about the place the first night I stayed there, but after a week, I feel really good about the decision. I met my roommate who is from Brazil. He is nice and considerate, but doesn't speak much English as he just started learning when he came to Australia this summer. However, I must say he speaks English pretty well compared to me trying to speak Portuguese! My only complaint is that he is a snorer, but that was solved with the purchase of some silicone ear plugs. We technically have a third roommate from Chile, but he works outside of the city on the weekdays so I probably won't see him much. There is also a French guy and a Turkish guy that I have met that live on the first floor, second floor if you are American. They call the first floor ground level. Everyone is nice and pretty good about keeping the noise down at night and cleaning up after themselves. I think it will be great accommodation for the next three months, possibly longer. It is definitely affordable and will allow me to save tons for my Post New Year's trip to the Great Barrier Reef!
One of my goals that I set for myself when coming overseas was to get more active, so I joined Fitness First this week. It is only five minutes from my house and my work, so I plan to go Monday through Friday early afternoons. With my membership I have three personal training sessions. I met with my fitness assessor today and he went over my personal goals with me. I have always hated going to the gym because I never could decide on what I wanted to do or where to start. My trainer Baden seems pretty confident he can help me reach my goals but it's going to require a lot of frequent eating! To get the body I am after, I am going to need good strength training, but most importantly a protein high diet and adequate sleep. I'm excited to get started and can't wait to start seeing some results!
I am in Manly for the weekend to house sit for Patrick and Jaime while they are away on a birthday trip to Byron Bay. I was hoping this would be a relaxing weekend soaking up rays on the beach but the forecast is showing rain all weekend. I'll just consider it a lazy indoor weekend in solitude.
While I was waiting for the ferry, there was a fireworks display in the harbour associated with the Latin Festival going on this weekend. If that is a small taste of what New Year's will be like, I am super excited!


No comments:
Post a Comment